12 Days of Edible Gifts: Bacon Jam
Sweet edible gifts not your thing? Then how about something savory? Even better, how about something bacon-y, like this to-die-for bacon jam. It's so good that I could only give one jar away. (I gifted myself with the other jar.) It's smoky, sweet, porky, and spicy. A long, slow cook ensures that the onions caramelize and the bacon melts. It has the chunky texture of tapenade and is easy to spread.
I've enjoyed it on toast, crackers, pasta, burgers, and simply and devilishly by the spoonful. If you want someone to fall in love with you, then I highly recommend giving them bacon jam. The words themselves are magical — say it with me: bacon jam. Bacon jam. You get the idea; now
1 pound smoked bacon
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons Sriracha, plus more to taste
1 cup coffee
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, plus more to taste
1/4 cup maple syrup, preferably grade B
Freshly cracked black pepper
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot or straight-sided sauté pan cook the bacon in batches over medium high heat until it's lightly browned and just starting to crisp. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until soft and translucent, 10-12 minutes.
- While the onion cooks, slice the bacon into 1-inch strips.
- Return the bacon to the pan and add the brown sugar, Sriracha, coffee, apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring every now and then to prevent sticking, for 3-4 hours, or until it has a thick, jam-like consistency and deep rich brown color.
- Let cool for 20 minutes than transfer to a food processor. Pulse for several seconds to finely chop and blend the jam. Season to taste with additional vinegar, Sriracha, and salt.
- Allow the solids to settle, then skim off as much of the fat as possible, and split between two 4-ounce glass jars.
- Serve at room temperature with crackers, crostini, or on a burger.
- Two 4-ounce jars of jam