Apple Chicken Salad
2 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound total)
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1/2 cup
1/4 cup dried apricots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/3 cup sliced almonds with skins, toasted
1 medium Golden Delicious apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 head Bibb or Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- Bring stock and 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 2 minutes.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; add to stock mixture. Simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 14 minutes.
- Remove chicken using a slotted spoon; discard liquid.
- Let chicken stand until cool enough to handle. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Stir together mayonnaise, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, the celery, apricots, almonds, if using, and apple in a medium bowl.
- Stir in chicken.
- Refrigerate chicken salad, covered, until cold, about 30 minutes.
- To serve in lettuce bowls, spoon about 1/2 cup chicken salad onto each leaf.
- Any leftover chicken salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Makes about 10 half-cup servings.
Salad made with Golden Delicious apples fills lettuce "bowls" for lunch or dinner; serve leftovers as an after-school snack.