For Fudge Sauce:
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
For Caramel Sauce:
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds
4 ripe bananas
4 scoops vanilla ice cream
4 scoops chocolate ice cream
4 scoops strawberry ice cream
1 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks and chilled
4 maraschino cherries, drained
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 5-7 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- FOR FUDGE SAUCE: In the top pan of a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over (not touching) simmering water in a pan, combine the chocolate and butter and stir until melted and smooth.
- Stir in the cream just until incorporated.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover to keep warm and set aside.
- FOR CARAMEL SAUCE: In a small heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together the heavy cream and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the butter, reduce the heat to low and simmer until thick and caramel like, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Peel the bananas and cut in half lengthwise. Lay each banana in an individual oval dish, cut side up.
- Arrange 1 scoop each of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream on each banana.
- Drizzle a little warm fudge sauce over the chocolate and strawberry ice cream and a little warm caramel sauce over the top of the vanilla ice cream. Top with a mound of the whipped cream, and then sprinkle with the toasted almonds.
- Finally, crown with a maraschino cherry and serve immediately.
- Serve the remaining fudge and caramel sauces on the side.