Beef Barley Soup
half pound of beef stew type meat cut into small pieces.
package of barley
small can of tomato paste or puree.
1 large onion, 5 stalks celery, 5-6 carrots
salt, pepper, garlic powder, bay leafs. or seasoning of choice.
Get out a nice big pot. I like to use non stick T-fal.
1.Start by browning half a pound of stew type beef cut into bite-sized pieces.
2. Add some garlic powder, pepper, salt and any other seasonings to the meat and mix until the meat is browned.
3. Dice up about 5 stalks of celery and a large onion. And slice up about 5 carrots. Add this to the meat.
3. Add enough water to fill the pot almost to the top, leave about 2 inches space at the top so it doesn't go over.
4. Add about half a package of barley. Too much and the soup will be too thick.
4. Mix in a small can of tomato paste or puree, if you want to give it some color.
5. Add any other seasonings you might like and a few bay leafs.
Cover the pot but leave a little space for air to escape or it might go over.
Cook for about 1 and half hours - 2 hours. Check that carrorts are cooked and it should be ready.
Make sure to check the soup while cooking and mix if necessary so it doesn't get too think and stick to the pot. Add extra water if necessary.