Fall Biking Must-Have Gear
Created by Fitness 9/16/10
Autumn, with its cooler temps and color changes, makes for great biking. Cool morning temperatures that rise with the sun mean you need gear that peels off easily as you heat up. Here are my essentials, from head to toe, for riding into the season change. Add your regular short sleeve jersey to the mix and you're golden!
- A thin wool skull cap like the Icebreaker Pocket Hat ($25) that easily fits under your helmet or in your back jersey pocket.
- Stay visible and cool with a screaming yellow windbreaker with zip-off sleeves. I love riding in my Barrier Convertible Jacket ($100) from Pearl Izumi. It easily converts into a vest and the sleeves fit easily into your back jersey pocket.
- Ibex makes great arm warmers ($40) that are perfect for layering and peel off easily. These merino wool arm warmers hold their shape but don't trap moisture or end up smelly.
See what else I'm riding with when you
- Frozen fingers are the worst. Blaze downhill in cold weather and keep your fingers toasty with long fingered gloves ($35) by Luna Gear.
- Cycling knickers provide just the right amount of coverage to ride off into the Fall foliage without overheating. This pair by Sugoi ($150) are sleek, flattering, and also come in brown. Talk about autumnal.
- Constructed out of neoprene, these Capo Toe Covers ($40) keep the cold and damp out and your feet toasty warm. They slip easily on and off your cycling shoes — they have a cutout for your cleat.