DIY Beauty: Aspirin & Honey Mask
I'm a beauty junkie, like most of teamsugar out there, but I run
on a very slim budget. I love trying new, cheap things, so when I saw this "mask recipe" on a girl's Xanga page a few months ago, I had to try it! (The girl is RiceBunny, search her on Xanga if you want! She has a lot of great beauty & makeup tips.)
What You'll Need:
1. Take 3 - 4 uncoated aspirin pills and place on a small plate.
2. Sprinkle several drops of water on them, just enough to make them start to dissolve. They should dissolve right before your eyes. Use your fingers to help break down the aspirin more. It should be grainy & slightly wet.
3. Squirt about 2 drops of honey on the water & aspirin. Use your fingers to mix them all together into a grainy paste.
4. Apply the mixture all over your face, avoiding the eye area.
5. Leave on for 10 - 15 minutes.
6. Add some warm water to your face with your hands & scrub gently for a few minutes.
7. Finally, rinse off completely & use your favorite toner & moisturizer.
Ta-da! You should be left with smooth, soft skin that glows!
But how does this work, you might ask?
Aspirin contains salicylic acid, a beta hydroxy acid that helps to slough off dead cells and clear clogged pores and reduce production of skin oil. This mask makes great use of aspirin's skin-clearing abilities as well as honey's moisturizing effect.
Since aspirin is an acid, it shouldn't be used too often because it can irritate skin. Every other day should be fine, but it really depends on your own skin. You should not use it if you're allergic to aspirin.
I hope all you Sugars out there give it a try & let me know if it works for you! I have made both my mother & my boyfriend try this mask with me, they both like it! I'm going to do it tonight because I haven't done it in a while, so I'm excited to have a smoother complexion soon. Enjoy, ladies!