Grandma's No-fail Candied Yams
1 large can of yams
1 stick of butter - cut into 4 or 5 even pieces
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Open can and drain syrup into medium sized bowl.
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to syrup. Stir until there is an even consistency.
- Place yams into shallow baking dish (8x8 should do).
- Pour syrup mixture over yams.
- Cover and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
- Tell everyone you've slaved over it and serve.
Alternatively, you can bring syrup mixture to boil until it thickens before pouring it over the yams. However after years, Grandma has cut this step out and says that "there's no need."