Heart Healthy Omega Granola
This crunchy nut based granola is high in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, making it a great addition to a heart healthy or nutrient dense lifestyle.
* 1 cup raw walnuts
* 1 cup raw almonds
* 1 cup raw pepitas [pumpkin seed]
* 1/2 cup almond flour
* 1/2 cup ground flax seed
* 1/4 cup coconut sugar [aka palm sugar] – brown sugar would work too
* 2 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1/8 tsp nutmeg
* 1/4 tsp Himalayan rock salt
* 1/4 cup apple juice
* 2 tbsp chia seed
* 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
* 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
* 10 dried apricots, cut into bite-sized pieces
* 1/2 cup dried cranberries
* 8 honey dates, pitted and cut into bite-sized pieces
* 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- Combine walnuts, almonds, and pepitas in a large glass container. Cover with 2 inches of filtered water and allow to soak overnight.
- The next day, place soaked mixture in a strainer, rinse, and shake to dry. Spread on a cutting board and chop the nuts slightly.
- Preheat oven to 300F and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Combine wet ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine remaining dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add soaked nuts and seeds, making sure to coat each piece in the flour mixture.
- Add wet to dry and mix until fully incorporated.
- Evenly distribute the mixture onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes, rotating the mix every 15 minutes. As soon as the mixture is dry, remove from oven to prevent from burning. It will burn quick! So be careful.
- Allow granola to cool before mixing in your add-ins.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Granola