Bedrest Bash: Diaper Cake Decor
I love the idea of a diaper cake. Unfortunately, I don't like the price they charge for them. So I put my creative juices to work and crafted my own. Making the cake allows you to personalize it to suit the mama–to–be.
To see how to make a diaper cake, .
Supplies you will need:
- Diapers (I try to find plain ones so the colors won't clash too much)
- Tulle fabric
- Ribbons (different sizes and colors)
- Tape (optional)
- Cake platter
- Cup (can help hold diapers in place)
- Extra doo-dads, like pacifiers, onesies, etc.
Check out the gallery below for a step–by–step how–to on making a diaper cake.
- First, make a loop with the ribbon and tie a knot. You will start to place the folded diapers in the ring.
- Next, fold the diapers and start placing them inside the looped ribbon.
- Soon, you will start filling it up.
- A cup in the center can help you shape the circle and fill out the edges.
- Start your second layer.
- When you take the cup out, you can fill the empty space with extra diapers.
- Full diapered level.
- Last loop is much smaller to top the cake.
- Since the loop is smaller, you will have to fold the diaper three ways.
- Using bamboo skewers or coffee stirrers can help keep the layers in place.
- I found small pieces of silver and gold leather in the remnants at a fabric store. Cut out shapes and tape them on to the cake.
- Close up of gold bottle.
- Add pacifiers, onesies, aspirators and the like for extra decoration.
- Close up of gold heart.
- Close up of pacifier.
- Instead of filling the top layer with diapers, put a candy filled bottle in the center.
- Place the cake (ideally on a cake platter) on one yard of tulle.
- Before wrapping it up.
- Gather all of the edges and tie a bow at the top.
*For extra decor, buy some helium-filled balloons in the same colors and fill the room with the hovering pieces.