I'm moving and I need advice!
I'm getting ready to move in September. I'll probably be moving right around September 20, give or take a few days. I'm staying in the DC area, but my roommate and I are parting ways; I'll be moving into the District and she'll be moving closer to her work.
Here's my dilemma: I've looked at apartments (online) in neighborhoods I like and so far, I've found three or four top contenders. There's one that's at the top right now, but I'd have to see them in person to be sure; I think I'd be happy with any of my three or four favorites. All of my favorites offer incentives, move-in specials, like two to three months free rent and/or no amenities fee, etc. This could save me somewhere from $3200-$3700, so it's a substantial amount of money. However, most of the specials are only good if you sign the lease in the month in which you are moving in. (For example, right now, one building is offering two months free rent and a waived amenities fee if you move in by July 30.) I could use the money since I'll have to buy some new things (a new TV and movers being the most sizable expenses) when I move. However, we'll be giving notice at our current apartment on or around July 20. (Our lease expires on September 24 and we are required to give 60 days notice.) I've never given notice somewhere without having somewhere else lined up to live. So, I can't decide if I want to sign a lease now and be assured that I will have somewhere ideal to live (if these buildings will let me sign that far in advance) or if I want to roll the dice and sign a lease at the beginning of September and try to get some bargains. There are pros and cons on both sides; I'm just not sure what to do! I know no one can definitively tell me what to do, but any advice would be appreciated.