Jiva Ayurveda Recipes - Drumstick Leaf Vegetable (Sahijan Pati Saag)
Taste: Katu (pungent), kashaya (astringent)
Quality: Laghu (light), ruksha (dry), tikshna
Potency: Ushna (warm)
Post-digestive effect: Katu (pungent)
Drumstick saag is beneficial in asthma, bronchitis, arthritis, diabetes, and low blood pressure. It shows positive effects in amenorrhea and reduction of weight. Being warm in potency, it is very effective against digestive disorders such as anorexia and flatulence. The rejuvenating effect of drumstick on the nervous system makes this a useful recipe in nervous debility and paralysis. This drumstick saag increases lactation.
The leaves are highly nutritious, being a significant source of beta carotene, Vitamin C, protein, iron, and potassium.
The recipe pacifies kapha dosha and vata dosha, but increases pitta dosha. Hence, persons having pitta constitution should use it sparingly.
* 2 cups of drumstick leaves
* 1 medium sized onion
* 4 cloves Garlic - approximately 2 tbsp
* Grated fresh coconut
* 1/2 spoon haldi
* 1 tbsp refined soybean oil
* Salt to taste
1. Do not cut the drumstick leaves with a knife. Just leave as it is. Wash and drain the water.
2. In a pan, heat oil. Then crush the garlic and add to hot oil. Cook until it gets a little brown. Take care not to burn it.
3. Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add the drumstick leaves, turmeric and salt.
4. Do not pour any water. Cook this on slow heat until it gets a little dry.
5. In the end, add grated coconut to the saag to taste. The coconut is added to remove the bitter taste in the leaves and can be left out if one does not care for the taste of it.
- Vegetables, Side Dishes