Jiva Ayurveda Recipes - Split Orange Lentils (Masoor ki Daal)
Ayurvedic Properties of Split Orange Lentils:
Taste: Kashaya (astringent)
Quality: Laghu (Light)
Potency: Sheeta (cold)
Post-digestive effect: Katu (Pungent)
Medicinal Properties of Spilt Orange Lentils:
Split orange lentils are easily digestible and beneficial in digestive disorders such as diarrhea and indigestion. This recipe is also recommended in skin disorders, obesity, asthma, and other respiratory disorders.
Being light, cold and astringent, this recipe pacifies Pitta dosha and Kapha dosha. However, it increases Vata dosha. In order to pacify the Vata dosha, it is garnished with onion, garlic, ginger, and asafoetida. Excessive use of split orange lentils can lead to flatulence and joint pains.
Split Orange Lentils (Masoor Dal) 1 cup
Onion, thinly sliced 1
Tomato, chopped 1 (medium size)
Ginger, peeled and diced 1-inch size
Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds 1tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Water 3 1/2 cups
Butter 2 tbsp
Salt according to taste
* Wash the lentils and soak for 30 minutes.
* Boil water in a heavy base pot.
* Drain the lentils and add to the boiling water.
* Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, chopped tomatoes, ginger, and garlic. Mix well for 5 minutes.
* Cover the pot and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils become soft.
* Heat butter in a frying pan. Add the cumin seeds and onion slices. Fry well till the onion slices turn golden brown.
* Add to the cooked lentils and mix well.
* Serve hot for maximum health benefits.
- Main Dishes