Lemon is my second favorite flavor when it comes to desserts (chocolate being the first :-D). While doing groceries when I come across some bright yellow lemons I almost feel obligatory to buy them. Generally it is the flavor of spring or summer but I can enjoy a lemon treat all year round. They are also very easy to work with. You might have noticed that lemon dessert does not have many ingredients (Mostly Sugar, Flour and butter) that is because it has such a strong flavor that stands out on its own and does not need any other flavor to compliment it.
1/2 cup or 1 stick unsalted butter at room temprature
1/4 cup confectionary sugar (icing sugar)
1 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoon flour
for dusting/ garnishing incing/confectionary sugar
- Preheat oven at 350 F or 180 C. Take a 8×8 inch baking dish and butter/oil it and set a side.
- First work on the crust. Beat the butter with a hand/stand mixer for 1 minute until creamy.
- Add in the sugar and mix.
- Add flour ans salt and mix until the dough comes together.
- Take out the dough into the prepared baking pan and press it evenly in the pan with your fingers and back of the spoon. spread the dough as even as possible.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the sides of the crust has slightly browned. Once baked pull out of the oven and let it cool while you prepare the lemon filling.
- For the filling pour in the sugar in a mixing bowl and add in the lemon zest. Now with your fingers rub the sugar and zest until fragrant and crumbly.
- Now add in the eggs and beat either with a whisk or a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add in the lemon juice and mix.
- Now just stir in the flour. Pour this lemon mixture onto the baked crust and pop it into the oven to bake for another 18 to 20 minutes or just until the lemon mixture has set.
- When baked pull out of the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once completely cooled cut into square big or small pieces. Put them onto a serving platter and dust generously with confectionery/icing sugar.
- Desserts, Cookies