Delilicious: Marshmallow Sprinkle Skulls
After seeing BabySugar's ghostly cupcakes, I wanted to bake something Halloweenish for my wee ones. I was thrilled when I found these simple and adorable marshmallow skulls – a perfect decoration for a Halloween baked good. With only a bag of marshmallows, color sprinkles and a knife, I turned a regular marshmallow into a spooky skull.
Rather than make elaborate chocolate-coated Madelines as the recipe called for, I made a simple brownie recipe. I cooked the brownies in a muffin tin for easy individual servings. Rather than coat the brownies in frosting to attach the skulls, I waited for the brownies to cool slightly and the warmth melted the marshmallows just enough. If you want to decorate your tasty treats with spooky and squishy skulls,
For the Skulls
For the Brownies
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), coarsely chopped
1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoons vanilla
- For the marshmallows skulls, use a knife trim a sliver from 2 sides of the bottom of each marshmallow at an angle for a tapered chin.
- Cut a slit above chin for a mouth.
- Using a toothpick, poke 2 holes halfway down each marshmallow for eyes and 1 in between for a nose.
- Pour sprinkles onto a plate. They will be different sizes; choose 1 small and 2 large for each. Insert small sprinkle for nose and larger sprinkles for eyes.
- For the brownies, Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin tin.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl in the microwave. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Whisk together sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl, then pour in chocolate mixture, whisking until combined well. Whisk in flour mixture, then stir in walnuts and transfer batter to muffin tin.
- Bake until top is shiny and set and sides have begun to pull away slightly (a wooden pick or skewer will not come out clean), about 20-25 minutes.
- When brownies are warm to the touch, remove from muffin tin and place marshmallow on top.
Makes 12 individual brownies.
- Desserts, Brownies