Mushroom and Blue Cheese Crackers
1/4 ounce dried wild mushrooms, about 1/2 cup
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup milk
- Place mushrooms in a spice grinder, and grind until fine, about 15 seconds.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle, mix butter and blue cheese on medium until combined. Add flour, ground mushrooms, and pepper; mix just until combined and crumbly. Add milk, and mix just until dough comes together (the dough will be quite stiff).
- Divide dough evenly into three disks. Wrap two disks in plastic wrap; set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out one disk to be 1/16 inch thick. Cut out crackers with a 31/2-inch round cutter. Transfer to a baking sheet; prick each with a fork three or four times. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Repeat with remaining dough. Bake until golden brown, about 22 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Store crackers in an airtight container up to 1 week.
Makes 3 dozen.
- Appetizers, Breads/Crackers