Oven-Fried Fish & Chips
4 all-purpose baking potatoes (such as Russet or Idaho)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 Box Melba toast, Mediterranean or garlic flavored (about 5 ounces)
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons water
1 pound skinless white fish fillet, (such as cod or haddock), cut into 3-inch pieces (should be about 7 pieces)
1 cup Tartar Sauce
1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with sides. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel potatoes and cut in half, and then cut each half into 8 wedges.
- In a bowl, toss the potatoes with the olive oil, paprika, salt, and pepper. Place potatoes on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the fish. Place the Melba toast in a plastic ziplock bag and pound with a mallet or the back of a heavy spoon to crush -- there will be some pieces that remain large (the size of a pebble), this is OK as it adds to the texture once baked.
- Place the crushed Melba toast on a plate. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, Dijon mustard, and the water.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper to taste. Dip the fish on both sides with egg mixture and then press to coat with crumbs, turning to coat both sides.
- After the potatoes have cooked for 15 minutes, use a spatula and push them to one side of the pan. Place fish in the pan, making sure they do not touch and return pan to oven. Bake for another 15 minutes, until the fish is crisp and firm to the touch.
- Serve immediately with tartar sauce and a lemon wedge.
- Fish, Main Dishes