Peruvian Pesto Spaghetti (Tallarin Verde)
I've recently become ADDICTED to Peruvian food. They have a variation on pesto which uses spinach AND basil instead of only basil. I found this recipe on Yahoo and it looks very simple. I haven't gotten to try making this recipe as my fridge is rather bare right now, but I can't wait to try it out!
16 oz. thin spaghetti
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 lb. cream cheese (4 oz.), cut into cubes
1 cup fresh basil leaves
3 cups fresh spinach leaves
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp. chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. olive oil
Grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups grilled chicken or steak, cut in strips (optional)
Makes 6 servings
1. Bring two quarts of salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti until done to your liking. Drain the spaghetti.
2. While the pasta is cooking, add the remaining ingredients (except the Parmesan and meat) to a food processor or blender, and blend until smooth.
3. Warm the sauce over low heat in a saucepan for a few minutes, or in a microwave. If using chicken or steak, either cook them fresh, or warm the leftovers in a microwave.
4. Toss the sauce with the pasta (and optional sliced meat) in a large serving bowl. Sprinkle Parmesan on each serving.
- Pasta/Noodle, Side Dishes
- South American