Pumpkin and Brown-Sugar Crème Brûlée
1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
5 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups heavy whipping cream
8 tablespoons raw sugar or golden brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Whisk pumpkin, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup brown sugar in large bowl. Whisk in egg yolks and vanilla, then spices and salt.
- Bring cream just to boil in medium saucepan. Gradually whisk hot cream into pumpkin mixture.
- Divide mixture among eight 5x1-inch ramekins. Divide ramekins between 2 large roasting pans. Add enough hot water to pans to come halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake until custards are just set in center, about 35 minutes. Chill custards until cold, about 6 hours. Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and keep chilled.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon raw sugar over pumpkin custard in each ramekin. Using kitchen torch, melt sugar until deep amber. Alternatively, use broiler. Place ramekins on rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with brown sugar [not raw sugar] and melt directly under broiler until deep amber. Refrigerate 15 minutes to allow sugar to harden. Can be made 1 hour ahead. Keep chilled.
- Other, Desserts