3 tbsp. olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 medium potato, peeled and finely diced
salt and black pepper to taste
8-10 ounces radicchio, about 6 cups, sliced thin
4 cups chicken stock, beef stock, or vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
4-6 slices sourdough bread, toasted
lemon wedges, for serving
- Put the oil in a large soup pot and heat over medium-low heat until warm.
- Add the onion and saute for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the potato and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add radicchio and saute, stirring until it just wilts. Season.
- Pour in stock and 2 cups water. Simmer gently until potatoes are just tender, 8-10 min.
- Using potato masher or immersion blender, mash or puree part of the soup. Don't worry too much about this — it is rustic soup.
- Taste and correct seasonings. Divide the cheese among 4-6 bowls. Ladle soup over cheese, drizzle with oil if desired and serve with the toasted bread and lemon wedges.
- Stock/Broth, Soups/Stews
- North American