Red Chowder With Leek, Corn, and Crab
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
2 large baking potatoes — peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise
2 leeks, split lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick
4 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
1 bay leaf
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Half of a red bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup dry sherry
One 32-ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 cups frozen corn kernels
12 ounces lump crabmeat, picked over for pieces of shell
2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
A generous handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped chives
Grated peel of 1 lemon or orange
Oyster crackers, optional for serving
- In a soup pot, heat the oil, over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until it renders fat and crisps at the edges, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, leeks, celery and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the red bell pepper and thyme, then stir in the sherry and reduce for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, crabmeat and Old Bay Seasoning and simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Combine the parsley, chives and lemon peel and sprinkle over the chowder. Pass oyster crackers around the table.
- Soup, Main Dishes