1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup whole milk
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
The Chocolate Ganache:
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups shredded, sweetened coconut
10 ounces evaporated milk
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Stir vanilla into milk.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds. Add sugar, and beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 30 seconds and scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions of milk. Scrape down the sides in between, and mix until fully combined.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the top of the muffins springs back when lightly touched, and a wooden toothpick inserted in the cakes comes out free of uncooked batter.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely.
For the ganache filling:
- Place chocolate in a heat-proof bowl.
- Heat cream until bubbles form around the edge of the pan, then pour over the chocolate.
- Let stand for 1 minute, then stir until combined.
- Add vanilla and stir until incorporated.
- Let cool to room temperature.
To fill the cupcakes:
- Fill a pastry bag with the chocolate ganache and insert the 1/4-inch metal tip into the top of each cupcake, squeeze the bag until you feel a slight pressure, which should put approximately 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of chocolate in each cupcake. You should only squeeze for a couple of seconds.
- Alternatively, cut off the top of the cupcake, scoop out a bit of the center and replace with 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of the ganache.
Save remaining chocolate to garnish tops of cupcakes with stripes.
For the frosting:
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spread the coconut on a sheet pan. Toast in oven, stirring frequently to prevent burning, until the coconut is an even brown color, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a small saucepan and beat lightly to break up.
- Add the milk, sugar, and butter.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thick, bubbly, and golden, about 15 minutes.
- Press mixture through a fine metal sieve and into a bowl to remove any lumps.
- Add 2 cups of the coconut, reserving the remainder for garnish, and stir to combine.
- Let the mixture cool, and spread generously over tops of cupcakes.
- With a fine-tipped pastry bag, or the edge snipped off a plastic bag, pipe stripes of chocolate ganache over the top of the coconut icing to look like a Samoas Girl Scout cookie.
- Garnish with remaining toasted coconut.
Yields 12 cupcakes