Skinny Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any kind of milk, nondairy or regular)
- 1 cup plain soy yogurt (or regular plain nonfat yogurt)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato past, and cook, stirring constantly, until the tomato paste darkens, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes with juices, basil, and thyme, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and reduced, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor (or use an immersion blender) and pulse to combine. Add the chicken broth, almond milk, and yogurt, and process until completely smooth. Rinse out pot to clean.
- Pour the soup back into the clean pot and cook over medium heat until it’s warm, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.