Soft Baked Pretzels
1 package (.25 oz.) active dry yeast
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
2 cups warm water
2 tbsp baking soda
2 tbsp butter, melted
1-2 tbsp coarse kosher salt or cinnamon sugar
Makes 12 servings.
- In a large mixing bowl, add yeast, brown sugar and salt. Test water temperature with thermometer. When it reads 110 degrees, add to bowl. Stir to dissolve. Add both types of flour and stir well.
- Place dough on floured surface. Knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. (To knead dough, press down on dough with your palm, fold the dough over and rotate 1/4 turn, repeat until dough is ready.)
- Grease a large bowl. Place dough in bowl then turn dough upside down to coat the surface. Cover with a towel and let rise for one hour in a warm spot.
- Combine 2 cups warm water (test again for 110 degrees) and baking soda in an 8-inch square pan. After the dough has risen, divide it into 12 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 1 1/2-foot rope, 1/2-inch wide. Twist into a pretzel shape, and dip into the baking soda solution. Place on cookie sheets and let rise 15 to 20 minutes.
- Bake at 450°F. for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter, and then sprinkle with coarse salt or cinnamon sugar.