Sweet ‘N Tangy Barbecue Quinoa Bean Salad
Yield: 4 servings | Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: 15 min
Perfect for your summer barbecues, this salad's secret sauce takes your love of quinoa to a whole new level & will turn haters into evangelists.
Quinoa Bean Salad
Use organic ingredients when possible
* = good source of fiber
- 1 cup dry quinoa *
- 2 cups vegetable broth or filtered water
- ½ cup red onion, chopped *
- ½ cup red pepper, chopped *
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels *
- 1 cup cooked black beans *
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, stems removed
- ¾ cups prepare barbeque sauce (recipe below)
- ½ tbsp. unsalted grass-fed butter (my favorite is Kerrygold) or virgin palm oil
- ¼ cup grated onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup organic ketchup
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. dry mustard
- Celtic sea salt and pepper to taste
If soaking your quinoa, allow an 8-24 hour soak in filtered water. Drain, rinse, and decrease the water/broth you are using by about 1 cup (using 3 cups instead of 4) and simmer time (see below).
1. In a saucepan, combine quinoa and vegetable broth/water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until quinoa softens and liquid evaporates – about 15-20 minutes.
2. While quinoa is cooking, prepare barbeque sauce by melting butter or oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and spices. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until slightly thick, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. Once quinoa has softened and liquid has evaporated, remove from heat, cool, and place in a large bowl. 4. Add remaining ingredients, barbeque sauce, and mix gently to combine.
Note: Recipe can be easily doubled, tripled, and beyond. Cook once, eat A LOT.
For this and other fiberlicious recipes, visit www.fortheloveoffiber.com.
Serving Size: ¼ of Recipe
- Calories: 352
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 4 mg
- Sodium: 570 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 67 g
- Dietary Fiber: 10 g
- Sugars: 15 g
- Protein: 13 g