Sweet Potato Cakes with Fresh Cranberry Relish
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and coarsely grated
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (about 2 ounces)
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
About 1/2 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne.
- Add the sweet potato, cheese and thyme and toss.
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg and milk. Stir in the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet.
- Working in batches, spoon rounded teaspoons of the batter into the skillet and flatten slightly to form 1 1/2 -inch cakes. Cook over moderately high heat until the bottoms are lightly browned and tiny bubbles form on the tops, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain and repeat with the remaining oil and batter.
- Arrange the cakes on a platter, top each one with about 1/2 teaspoon of the relish and serve.
Flip the cakes and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute longer.
The cakes can be layered between sheets of wax paper and refrigerated for 1 day. Reheat them in a 350° oven.