Sweet Potato Soup
1 1⁄4 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
2 tsp. olive oil
2 leeks (white part only), rinsed well and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbl. sugar
4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1⁄2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1⁄4 cup minced fresh basil
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and pour in enough water to cover. Set pan over high heat, bring to a boil, and let boil until potatoes are fork-tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks, garlic, and sugar. Cook, stirring frequently, until leeks soften, about 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and broth, bring to a simmer, and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth (or use a regular blender, work in batches, and return soup to pan).
- Add evaporated milk and simmer for 1 minute to heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with a sprinkling of Parmesan and basil.
- Main Dishes, Soup