Twilight: True Love or Abusive Relationship?
As it happens, I've only read (skimmed) the first book of the series so most of these points are not my own. At the end of this post I'll give you a link to my sources. I've read some pretty interesting articles about whether Edward Cullen is an abusive boyfriend or the perfect boyfriend. Without further ado, here are the arguments for both sides:
- Even though Bella is his personal "brand of heroin" Edward loves her too much to kill her
- Edward wants her to go to college and have a normal life
- Outside of the vampire thing Bella has a fairly typical life. She graduates, holds a job, reads, emails her mom, etc. and has friendships with Angela and Jacob. She does not let Edward interfere with her life.
- Though Edward teases her (which some see as putting her down), he teases her about things she is confident about such as her intelligence. This way she knows he is only kidding.
- He constantly tells her how beautiful she is
- Edward tries to control who Bella is friends with (messing with her engine so she can't see Jacob)
- He breaks into her house and watches her when she sleeps without her knowing or her consent. This is illegal.
- He invades her privacy by listening in on her conversations with friends and encourages his family to spy on her
- Bella justifies his actions by claiming Edward is overprotective and only acts this way because he "loves her" Sorry but that's the number 1 abusive relationship cliche ever.
- HE WANTS TO EAT HER. Look we all want to kill our partner now and then, but when this becomes the overriding theme of your relationship, you're in trouble
So there you go, complete with links to original articles. Probably could have cited thousands of references, but they would have gotten redundant after a while. Hope this was fair and balanced, tried to make an equal number of points for each side. Tell me what you think!