Whole Wheat French Loaves
We had this along side some fish on Sunday. It was really good!! My sister made it for my family.
2 Tbsp. active dry yeast
2 cups warm water (110F to 115F)
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
4 1/2 to 5 cups bread flour (she added two cups of whole wheat flour to the dough and 1 tablespoon of vital wheat gluten.)
1 tsp. cornmeal
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the salt, sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; kneed until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into 12-inch-long loaves.
- Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cornmeal. With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Bake at 450F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Makes two loaves. Serving size: about 8.
- Breads, Bread